Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Parenting Quotes

I am a quote person, here are some quotes I just found about parenting:

*When you have brought up kids, there are memories you store directly in your tear ducts. ~Robert Brault,

*Parenthood: That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage. ~Marcelene Cox


*Your children need your presence more than your presents. ~Jesse Jackson


*It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself. ~Joyce Maynard


*Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you. ~Robert Fulghum

*Parents often talk about the younger generation as if they didn't have anything to do with it. ~Haim Ginott


*The trouble with learning to parent on the job is that your child is the teacher. ~Robert Brault
*It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams


*The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. ~Lane Olinghouse


*If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. ~C.G. Jung, Integration of the Personality, 1939

*Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. ~Roger Lewin


*Simply having children does not make mothers. ~John A. Shedd

*Although there are many trial marriages... there is no such thing as a trial child. ~Gail Sheehy

*There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings. ~Hodding Carter, Jr.


*A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided. ~Robert Brault,

*You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky, Trouble-Free Travel with Children, 1991


*What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. ~P.D. James, Time to Be in Earnest

*If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. ~Haim Ginott

*There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it. ~Chinese Proverb

*The guys who fear becoming fathers don't understand that fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man. The end product of child raising is not the child but the parent. ~Frank Pittman, Man Enough

*If I had my child to raise all over again,

I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

*Whenever I held my newborn baby in my arms, I used to think that what I said and did to him could have an influence not only on him but on all whom he met, not only for a day or a month or a year, but for all eternity - a very challenging and exciting thought for a mother. ~Rose Kennedy


*Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids. ~Sam Levenson


*When you teach your son, you teach your son's son. ~The Talmud


*A child enters your home and for the next twenty years makes so much noise you can hardly stand it. The child departs, leaving the house so silent you think you are going mad. ~John Andrew Holmes


*The trouble with being a parent is that by the time you are experienced, you are unemployed. ~Author Unknown


*The trouble with having a stubbornness contest with your kids is that they have your stubbornness gene. ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

*You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb


*You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back. ~William D. Tammeus


*Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

*Always kiss your children goodnight - even if they're already asleep. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It